United States Marine Corps Bulldog: Registration Number V8-940 February 2, 1983
The bulldog that has become synonymous with the Corps made its first appearance during WWI when it was used in a highly popular recruiting poster. The image caught the public's imagination and was quickly adopted by the Marines as their mascot.
It wasn't until the early '20s however that the Corps got its first registered bulldog "King Bulwark" who was enlisted for a "term of life" and renamed "Jiggs" with the rank of private. Over the years Jiggs received numberous promotions, finally rising to the rank of Sergeant Major. In the late '50s, the Marine Barracks in Washington DC, the oldest post in the Corps, became the new home of the feisty canine. Renamed "Chesty" to honor the legendary Lieutenant General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, Jr., the mascot made his first formal appearance in 1957, at the Evening Parade. In his smartly cut Dress Blues, Chesty became the darling of the press and a hit with the public.